- Started collaborating with the Malta Employers’ Association on the dissemination of information about ICT accessibility to their members.
- Partnered with the Nanniet Malta NGO in order to raise awareness about ICT accessibility among their members.
- Added Digital Photography course
- Expanded the ICT Pool service through collaboration with ADVICE, an NGO supporting the use of Assistive Devices for the Visually Impaired
- Started organising regular information sessions on ICT accessibility
- Organised a National Seminar on ICT Accessibility bringing together the ICT industry, ICT users with disability and medical and education professionals.
- Appropriate use of technology by Ms Veronica Montanaro
- Access to Technology and Communication Unit (ACTU) by Ms Sharon Borg
- Eye Gaze Tracking for Assisted Communication by Mr. Louis Vella
- Eye Communicate – by Dr. Stefania Cristina
- Accessibility on the Go by Mr. Stanley M. Debono
- Video interview with Mr Anthony Borg
- Please visit the FITA facebook page to view the photo album and press release
- Published a research publication on Industry’s perspective and expectations about ICT Accessibility
- Organised specialised Braille training, sponsored by the Malta Bankers’s Association and the Central Bank of Malta
- Speech by Mr. Saviour Cachia, Chairperson, FITA
- Speech by Hon. Minister Marie Louise Coleiro Preca
- FITA accessible DawraMadwarna – Life Skills software in collaboration with SAPPORT (PPT)
- FITA ICT training user experience, Ms. Miriam Caruana
- Renewed the grant scheme in collaboration with the Vodafone Foundation
- Organised ICT accessibility training courses and revised FITA’s Braille Embossing and related services, so as to align them to the International Standards published that same year.
- Commissioned a research exercise and published a report on the use of ICT by persons with disability, with a particular focus on the benefits of the Maltese Speech Engine
- Worked with the Vodafone Foundation on a number of initiatives, including a rights based educational set of awareness videos and a grant scheme which facilitated access to smartphone technology by persons with disability
- Launched a new FITA website
- Luanched the FITAMALTA Youtube Channel
- Signed the first Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) which sets out a number of FITA’s key strategic objectives and matches these with the necessary funding.
- Launched FITA-Online support forum
- Migrated FITA electronic newsletter to FITA website and Facebook platforms
- ICT Accessibility Speech (PDF) and presentation (PDF)
by Ms Maria Mercieca and Mr. Stanley M. Debono
- ERDF114 Presentation (PDF)
by Mr. Roger Davies-Barrett
- Launched the FITA ICT Pool service via sponsorship from local enterprises
- Helped a group of enthusiastic disabled researchers, compile and publish a Career Path document, which helped trace and match the different ICT qualifications, training institutions and ICT jobs applicable to the local industry.
- Honourable Minister John Dalli (PDF)
- Mr. Matthew Gatt, Acting CEO, MITA (PDF)
- Ms. Pamela Bugeja (PDF)
- Mr. Stanley M. Debono,
Executive Coordinator, FITA (PDF)
- Started work on the Maltese Speech Engine project. This project was made possible through 85% ERDF (explain ERDF) funds and 15% national funds.
- Joined the international research consortium called TACMON under the EU Commission’s FP7 programme.
- Through MITA sponsorship, FITA created an educational video which looks at the life experiences of persons with different impairments together with their use of ICT and enabling technology.
- Honourable Mr. Leo Brincat MP (PDF)
- Rev. Profs. Peter Seracino Inglott (PDF)
- Ms Maria Mercieca (PDF)
- Mr. John Paul Fenech (PDF)
- Application of assistive ICT in work place scenarios(PPS)
- Assistive ICT for access to Education and Employment – FITA Operations 2007 – (PPS)
- Together with the Employment Training Corporation (ETC), FITA started providing work based training for persons with disability.
- Applied under the EU Regional Development Funds Programme for the development of the Maltese Speech Engine software.
- Honourable Mr. Leo Brincat MP (PDF)
- Mutual benefits of ICT accessibility – FITA operations 2006 (PPS)
- Embarked on a number of initiatives involving the distribution of MS software to persons with disability, combined with research into the use of ICT by persons with disability and inherent accessibility aspects.
- Publishing of FITA’s first monthly electronic newsletter
- Honourable Leo Brincat (MP3 / 1.7Mb)
- Mr. Joseph M. Camilleri, Chairperson KNPD (MP3 / 1.0Mb)
- The Growing Momentum – FITA operations 2005(PPS)
- Building accessible websites – adaptation of information sessions held for CIMU in 2005 (PPS)
- Started developing Maltese language based and accessible software geared around the needs of specific client groups
- Set up of a computer refurbishment workshop at the Physically Handicapped Rehabilitation Fund (PHRF) in Paola.
- His Excellency The President of Malta, Dr. Edward Fenech Adami (PDF)
- Mr. JR Grima, Chairperson MITTS Ltd. (LO-FI MP3 / 0.5Mb)
- Mr. Joseph M. Camilleri, Chairperson KNPD (LO-FI MP3 / 1.0Mb)
- Mr. Anthony Briffa (PDF)
- Mr. Nathaniel Grasso (PDF)
- Releasing the hidden potential – FITA operations 2004 (PPS)
- Partnered with GO plc and Melita plc so as to make available more favourable telephony and Internet rates for disabled people.
- Organised Web design course and published the related training materials
- Launched first FITA ICT Training sessions thanks to joint collaboration with MCAST and a number of volunteer students
- GetResults Leonardo project on accessible entrepreneurship
- Human resource development via Royal National Institute for the Blind (RNIB) and the British Computer Association of the Blind (BCAB)
- Expanded FITA’s remit beyond that of its predecessor – CITAM, so as to cater for persons with any disability
If you found this information useful, please consider sharing it.